I called him just before six p.m. and he was in agony. Same complaint of severe stomach pain. Again...he was talking Rat Trap. Nurses wouldn't give him any pain med...were staying out of his room on purpose....and MUCH MORE off the wall shit. i immediately hung up and called the front desk. Was told they gave him a booster of morphine by mouth a half hour ago. Folks...it went from bad to worse. I called him back to tell him I had spoken to the nurse and he went off on me saying/raving that now they would be even meaner to him and do terrible things to him....and so on. Nothing I said convinced him otherwise. He was crying in agony. Daughter Michelle went there and kept reporting back to me what she was witnessing. A HORROR STORY ! I shit you not!
Someone had stabbed him in his stomach twice was one of them. I put some awful black stuff in his mouth ...was another. His agony and wild talk continued. he begged her not to leave him. Told her he was going to die. We both were in agreement that he had to be seen by a doctor if the nurses on the floor were unable to give him anything else for his pain. She called me back to tell me that a fermale doctor saw him and gave him an injection of morphine. By this time it was 10 p.m. and she had to leave to go pick up her youngest daughter from work and WAS TORN APART on having to leave him. She called me minutes ago to ask me what I thought about her going back and I told her that BOTH of our hands are tied. WE can do nothing for him, except be a witness to this and go crazy ourselves. She also asked me why he was getting heperin injections cause he is not supposed to have any blood thinners because of his brain bleeds. I NEVER EVEN PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHER ON THAT! She informed the doctor of it and she(doctor) said she would make note of it and they would use the boots instead. Yeah...that's what they have always used on his legs now that I think of it. A machine pumps them up and down...well sort of. (Like massaging the legs.) They (the V.A.neurologists have said...NO BLOOD THINNERS sooooooooooo WTF and why the fuck was that note NOT glaring in his medical history notes? I'm not saying THAT caused his stomach pain...cause it didn't, as he presented with that same stomach pain when admitted from the nursing home.
NOW..I ask you, how am I suppose to get the sleep the morning nurse told me that I should get with HIM on my mind??? Grand daughter Jess( an R.N.) told me that he needs to be on Hospice Pain Management.
Tomorrow morning I will tell Social Services to arrange that and send him home. There is NO WAY a nursing home/rehab will accept him with the pain he has. I WANT ANSWERS. Surely someone before him presented like he does. There has to be AN ANSWER FOR ME as to what is happening.
That's All Folks!
The ramblings of a mom of 9 by her KIDS that are STILL making her climb walls ,even as adults. Said I DO 3xs and I WANT OUT 2 xs. Have learned there is no such thing as a Rose Garden. My motto is Life Is Too Short To Be Miserable. When the bad outweighs the good it is time to shit can em. Laugh with me or at me, welcome to my world.
I AM WOMAN! Hear me ROAR! February 2012
WARNING !! Not for those with a short attention span. ; 0 )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As a volunteer for hospice, I can tell you that they generally do MUCH more to manage pain as well as emotional distress. The "problem" is that in some places, a doctor has to certify that the patient is terminal within 6 months to a year. We just started a program here called "Transitions" where we take people with chronic illnesses who aren't necessarily terminal. You should also check out whether there is a hospice house in your area. Either way, they can provide you with medical, nursing, social work, and volunteer help. It's a godsend. Good luck, sweetie.
ReplyDeleteI have no answers for you just love you and Mike are in my heart and thoughts
ReplyDeletesame here, no advise :(..just still hoping they can figure something out and you manage to get some rest somehow
ReplyDeleteI have no words, just my love and support as you go throught this living nightmare.
ReplyDeleteSo hope he gets some relief soon and both you of have some peace.
I am so sorry you and your husband and family are going through this. I wish I could help. I am so glad you have an RN in the family, that helps. When my daughter was in ICU as soon as they found out I was an RN, they were open with me and with my imput able to find what worked for her. Hang in there.
ReplyDelete