I AM WOMAN! Hear me ROAR! February 2012

I  AM WOMAN! Hear me ROAR!  February 2012
WARNING !! Not for those with a short attention span. ; 0 )

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

D D Long story shortened BY NOT MUCH

We never got him out of the V.A.Hospital ambulance pickup and drop off in front of the Spinal Cord Injury entrance/exit.
When I phoned him around 8:30 a.m. yesterday he was almost like his old self. :0) What a nice surprise. Talkative, without being promted. Sentences instead of "i don't know, yah, why."  Told me he had just eaten pancakes and they were good. "How much can they mess up pancakes here", he said to me. Like ....you couldn't mess up pancakes. 
Jill and I decided that we would leave home at noon and get a head start on getting him out of there.
The cleaning and dressing of him, the packing, his release papers hurried up. The discharge papers have always held us up at the time of any of his discharges.
   We enetered his room just before one and he seemed and sounded good. Social worker came and said he would get the doctor started on his release paper work ( usually alot of pages that include his history and the meds he is on and in structions on his care. A nurses aide came in and began cleaning him and finally it was time to get him out of bed and into his transport chair. This was accomplished, but he was unable to bear any weight of his own as he could prior.  We sit. He sits. Waiting.  sigh!!!!
He complained of wanting to lie down and Jill said how about I take you to the car and ma can wait for your paperwork. Off they went.  I began poking my head out of the door and looking for someone to ask about the paperwork. Once I saw someone, she said she would check on it. Tick, tick, tick. Finally I walk down the hall to the desk.  "Give me 5 minutes, I'll bring it to you in his room."  Back to his room I go and the aide is in there stripping his bed and removing things , etc. and I wait. Five minutes turned into fifteen , twenty and back to the desk I go and she said "nothing yet." Down the hall to social services I went and when Fred looked up from his desk, I told him my probelm. I'll see what's holding it up, he said. I had hubby's crutches and a bag of his stuff in my arms so i told fred I was going down to the car and would be right back up.
Once outside the doors I spotted my trunk up and as i tossed the things in my arms in there Jill said "mom.mom,he's slumped over and I can't wake him." I opened the passenger door and began yelling his name and shaking him. Eyes were rolled back in his head, no response and I ran back inside.
Code Blue was called and OMG what a response. Twenty/thirty personel rushed out and began to do what they had to do. First inside the car and then they managed to drag him out and work on him.
I stood inside the foyer out of the way as he was surrounded by people and other personel standing back watching .  They got him up on a gurney, had all kinds of stuff on him ( wires) and came inside to begin the race to the E.R. Saw them stop in a wider area where a clinic was and do something with his mouth. I'm thinking they were inturbating him, but they were not.I heard him coughing. :0) Knew he was alive.  They squirted a tube of Glutose down his throat I learned in E.R.   Lots of people were working on him in E.R. , veins were collapsing, finally they got a line in on the back of his lower arm.
His blood sugar was 42. They needed the line in him to get more ? in him to bring it up to at least 80 I heard someone say. BOTTOM LINE. HE IS NOT DIABETIC and even they said it. They don't know what caused this to happen. Once stable they brought him back up to his same room where after five minutes or so he fell into a deep sleep. The nursing staff has medical names for these things. Before he fell asleep he was responsive. Didn't remember what happened, BUT did remember them sticking him with needles everywhere and it hurt like hell. His upper body has become very sensitive to any stimuli since he has been there.
Wellllllllllllllllll from what I could get as his doctor and other staff were in his room............new plan is to move him to that nursing home today BY AMBULANCE.  Too much stimuli going by car. WTF!!!
I best hear what caused this to happen where I can understand it. I shit you not! I'm hearing pancreas this and that yesterday. We are as puzzled as you are Mrs.B. because he is not diabetic. HUH!!!!!!

If the paperwork was done on time ( 2p.m. ).....we would have been on the highway at 2:20 p.m. and quite possibly he would have died. 

That's All Folks!

6 comments:

  1. So he is still going to a nursing home, today (Wed. July 27), but by ambulance...

    Which nursing home? One near you, that you wanted? I may have missed this final decision on what nursing home. Apologize if I missed it.

    Courage...

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg..what next?...chin up tits out..prayers sent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Pat what a horrible experience for all three of you. It wasn't his time and hopefully he can be further investigated in the nursing home, and that he can rest and recuperate better there.
    (((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my dear friend, what an experience!!! You've been through so much lately, and now this. Let us know how he is doing, and know that my prayers are with you. (((Hugs)))
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dam! get him out of the hospital before they kill him. Our medical system is shit in this country!! I sure hope they get him straightened out, Hugs kiddo so sorry you had to go through that. Keep us posted we care!! Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG i'm glad things worked out as they did...i hope they get him to a nursing home close to you so the poor man can stabilize a little and you get some regularity too. This back and forth can't be good....sending you all my love

    ReplyDelete

While this was intended as my diary................
comments of good intention are accepted graciously by me.
Making good friends has been an unexpected benefit. :0)
(((hugs)))from me to you