I AM WOMAN! Hear me ROAR! February 2012

I  AM WOMAN! Hear me ROAR!  February 2012
WARNING !! Not for those with a short attention span. ; 0 )

Thursday, July 12, 2012

D D I want off this rollercoaster ride

UP....DOWN!
Much has happened, but I need to say as much as I can in less time. 
Hubby was discharged yesterday to the rest home/rehab in our town. UP! No more rollercoaster winding highway drive for me after yesterday.
Arrived there between 5 and 6 p.m. I had taken most of his things home with me and brought those along with his heavy wheelchair to the facility just before six p.m.  He was all upset. The condom cath had come off in the ambulance and he was soaked in piss. He could hear the EMT's laughing and thought it was at him. He was NOW in a johnny and cleaned up, but was still upset at his ordeal.
Daughter Michelle came.... by then...I had most of the intake paperwork done ...there was talk about putting a Foley in him and he just heard the word Foley "CATH" and was more than upset. Don't let them hyrt me any more. Between the two of us we thought /think we made him understand that THIS IS THE FRIENDLY CATH. I leave to get groceries and then come back. Michelle was staying til 8p.m.
I came back and .........right here I want to say...IF YOU HAVE NO ONE TO ADVOCATE FOR YOU...YOU ARE FUCKED! There's no shitting you.
He had not been given any meds.....tears , begging, I don't want to die, he says. His pain was unbearable to him. i head straight to the nurses station where I am told....somehow, someway...there are NO meds for him. Nursing director made the call to the pharmacy???think that's where the call went to and they had not heard back/got them/whatever the fuck... and NOW it's minutes before ten p.m.  Which means...he got one pain med at the V.A. on request at noon.  I was ready to pick him up off that bed and cart his ass out of there. Take him home, give him his pain meds I have here and whatever is...WILL BE!  Instead, I told her, the nurse , there was no way he was going without a pain med all night. Told her I was going home and getting my 6 ft something grandson and coming back. 
It is here that I will add....Jill was home watching Gavin until sevenish...so I told her I would do the grocery order. She called me after Gavin was picked up and told me she was going to just go buy some lunch meats her kids like. When I came home here after grocery shopping to put them away....NO JILL.  Long story short.....she found her way to the VFW after she bought the fucking lunch meat and GOT LOST! She arrived home minutes before I came back to get Gil and she was SHIT FACED! Insisted she was going with us. She reeked of booze. :0(
Of course...why did I even think she might stay home last night. Idiot that I am thought that maybe because Logan came home after being at his dads a week, she would want to stay around for him. Butch worked his 24 hour shift at the fire station and that is an invitation to her that she needs to go out and get sloshed.
So...upon arriving back  at the rest home, I was greeted by the nurse who told me that she GOT and GAVE hubby his meds. Drama Queen Jill sat on his bed massaging his sinus' as they were all blocked/stuffed up after crying so much. Gil kept telling her to stop talking to him, so that he could fall asleep. I SECONDED IT!  She would raise a finger every once in awhile ( one or two minutes more signal) and talk to him. We are like ...let's all stop talking so he can fall asleep.  Gil convinced her to leave in her car with him and Tracie and I remained just a short time more. He fell asleep at 11 p.m. Walking past the nurses station I was told that they didn't put the Foley in yet , but were. I told her to let him sleep..."oh yes, we will let him sleep", she says. I'm thinking...you are bullshitting me. I just got that feeling. My gut tells me...she lied to me.   He had already shit himself three times earlier after arriving there and even doing THAT... he was in much pain. All the gases in him were creating severe cramping pain. Been there...know it's NO FUN! I shit you not!
Back home....I watched Jill make herself another rum and coke....GAG ME....got my bed clothes on, turned on my tv and sleep came...WHEN, I don't know. Five a.m. found me AWAKE. It's seven now. Will get my shower and head down the street ( two miles :0) ), maybe less) and see how hubby is this morning.

(((hugs)))

That's All Folks!

8 comments:

  1. It might take a few days before the rehab gets everything done right for him. I found with my mom the best thing to do is find a nurse that you can communicate with and get them on your side.

    Also, talk to the aides about what's happening with him. They are a wealth of information and will tell you things as long as they know you won't mention their name if you complain to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::speechless:: but sending good thoughts your way, Pat.

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying things get better soon. I know it's hard. :(

    {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't let them lie to you they have meds there they can give him til his come in--I KNOW cause I have worked in Nursing homes for over 20 years!
    Sweetie go to my blog and collect your award.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep what Natalie said is right, how dare they make him suffer like that? Makes me want to cry.
    Glad you don't have to make that horrible long drive any more.
    Hope he was doing better when you got there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are absolutely right about needing an advocate. I am big on that and whenever a family situation comes up, I am the first one to stand up for them! I wish there was a job for me to do just that. I want to help people be heard and respected. Oooo this pisses me off just thinking about it!!!
    Take care Pat and at the nursing home....make all the noise you need to!

    ReplyDelete

While this was intended as my diary................
comments of good intention are accepted graciously by me.
Making good friends has been an unexpected benefit. :0)
(((hugs)))from me to you